Saturday, September 27, 2008

HP - Decoding HP Notebook Codes

I'll get this out there right up front: I'm not a fan of HP notebooks. Partially, becuase I've had limited exposure and find their model lineup frustratingly complex and partially because what experience I've had has tended to be dealing with reliability/repair issues on the cheap consumer models.

Still, I've finally been able to get a good decoder for the business line:

First number
6 = mid-range business
8 = high end
2 = ultraportable

Second number:
The higher the 2nd number the better generally, it denotes a market segment.

Third number:

year

10 = 2007
30 = 2008

4th number:

0 = Intel
5 = AMD

Final position: code letters:

s = cheap/value edition - lower end screen, no docking connector except USB solutions
b = mainstream business
p = professional business e.g. 6910p, 8510p
w = mobile workstation e.g. 8510w 8710w


If somebody has a better way to decode models, I'm all ears.

No comments: